Pro Bono Canada, Access Pro Bono BC, Pro Bono Law Alberta, Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan, Pro Bono Ontario and Pro Bono Québec seek nominations for awards honouring individuals, groups or organizations from anywhere in Canada for their outstanding pro bono contributions in the following three categories:
- A law firm committed to pro bono
- An individual actively involved in pro bono
- A pro bono program serving the community
Awards will be presented at the National Pro Bono Awards Dinner on October 4, 2018 as part of the 7th National Pro Bono Conference in Vancouver, BC.
We invite you to review the criteria below. If you know a deserving nominee, please take the opportunity to submit a nomination and help to recognize the contribution of lawyers and organizations to improving access to justice in Canada.
Canadian National Pro Bono Law Firm Award
This award recognizes a Canadian law firm that has made an outstanding contribution to the provision of pro bono legal services. The Awards Committee will consider law firms that have made significant strides toward the establishment of policies and programs that encourage lawyers to volunteer to represent low-income individuals. The committee is particularly interested in firms that have demonstrated dedication to the development and delivery of legal services to low-income recipients through a pro bono program, or have contributed significant work toward developing innovative approaches to delivering volunteer legal services.
Canadian National Pro Bono Distinguished Service Award
This award recognizes an individual lawyer who has made an outstanding contribution to the provision of pro bono legal services to Canadians. Nominees may be individual lawyers who do not obtain their primary income delivering legal services to low-income clients. The Awards Committee will evaluate nominations on the basis of an individual’s demonstrated commitment to pro bono work on behalf of individual clients, communities, or charitable organizations.
Canadian National Pro Bono Program Award
This award recognizes a specific Canadian pro bono program that increases access to legal services for poor persons. The Awards Committee will consider a pro bono program that has achieved excellence in one or more of the categories:
- Addressing a gap in existing services or the unmet legal needs of a community
- Using innovative strategies to increase access to justice
- Enhancing private bar participation in pro bono activities Promoting collaboration between legal and community services providers
To submit a nomination, please provide a copy of:
- Personal/corporate details and contact information for the nominated individual or group
- Narrative explaining why the individual or group is being nominated and why they deserve to win the award. This section should be limited to five pages and provide background information about the individual/group, the pro bono activities undertaken and the impact of these activities.
- Letters of support
Nominations may be submitted by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org The deadline to submit nominations is August 24, 2018.
All nominations will be reviewed by the Awards Committee, which includes representatives of Pro Bono Canada, Access Pro Bono BC, Pro Bono Law Alberta, Pro Bono Law Saskatchewan, Pro Bono Ontario and Pro Bono Québec.